For World Chocolate Day, Chef Emily is celebrating with a double chocolate cake. Plus, it's gluten-free and dairy-free so everyone can enjoy it!
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp. flax meal + 4 tbsp. water)
- ½ cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- ¾ tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ⅓ cup cane sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- Make flax egg and let sit for 10 minutes until a paste forms.
- Combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar and allow to sit for 10 minutes to coagulate.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flax eggs, almond milk and apple cider, oil, syrup, sugar, applesauce, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, unsweetened cocoa powder and espresso powder.
- Slowly and in batches, incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Prepare 2 6-inch cake pans (or a 9-inch cake pan or cupcake pan). Spray with nonstick cooking spray and dust pans with cocoa powder.
- Evenly distribute the batter between both pans.
- Place in Tovala Smart Oven and scan QR code below.
- Rotate the positions of the pans 12 minutes into the cycle.
- Remove and allow to cool before icing.
- ½ lb. (8 oz.) vegan butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (6 oz.) melted chocolate, cooled
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk
- In a stand mixer, add room temperature butter. Whisk until butter is well whipped: light and airy.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar, on low speed.
- Add in extract and melted, cooled chocolate. Whisk until incorporated and silky in texture.
- Add in almond milk if needed to loosen and make creamy.